Thursday, September 13, 2012

Been awhile!

Hello my dears.

Hope this post finds you dandy!

I haven't posted in forever...I originally started this blog when I began writing my Clementine novels. I have since taken a break from writing, and am more focused on making and performing my music.

I'd like to blog more.

And there's an exciting reason in this moment. I have started a KICKSTARTER campaign for my NEW CD, Surrender to the Incline. Here's a rough idea for the cover.


This is a very exciting journey. Basically I have a goal. I made this goal based on the bare-bones cost of making a record. I will be paying my producer, not quite as much as he's worth, and then I will be pressing the CD. There are other costs, but I don't want to bore you. The number I came up with to raise is. $11,111. Eleven is my lucky number! The campaign ends on November 11th too, so I'm extra dorky.

The second person to give gave me $111.11! I LOVE THAT! Thank you Julie Folkers! I started the campaign yesterday and have already raised $1,031. That's is truly amazing.

I thought I'd blog to share the emotions that are going through my head while I am doing this. It's a weird thing, asking for money. It's not a charity, you are getting something - the CD and other perks if you choose - but still, I'm asking for money. And it brings up so many feelings that are complicated. Feelings of 'am I good enough?' or 'is music that important for the world?'

I would like to flesh out these answers with you on my blog and I think it's a good exercise.

YES. I am good enough. I have been playing and writing and touring and giving my love for about 12 years now pretty consistently. Without a label. That means I do it all myself.

YES, music is important for the world. I can't tell you HOW MANY TIMES music has saved my life. Whether it's an Ani Difranco song I blasted during a break-up or a Karen Drucker tune that I listen to as a reminder that I am a DIVINE spirit....music has helped ME tremendously. And I am a part of the world, so that means it's probably the same for you.

I can't tell you HOW MANY emails I've gotten from fans telling me that my songs helped them or lifted them up. But this doesn't matter. It's still weird to ask for money.

Yesterday, it was hard not to keep checking the computer every five minutes to see the donations. Today, I'm a little more relaxed and I am breathing, reminding myself that I am right where I need to be, and this is a blessing.

Thank you for listening. I really want to go eat steak. The last time I ate steak? No idea. But I'm craving it now.

OH! I nearly forgot. Here's the link: www.kickstartamy.com

Love,
Amy

No comments: