Thursday, February 26, 2015

Time, Precious Time

Do you ever struggle with how exactly to spend your precious time?

I have just spent the last two hours battling with music notation software, and I wonder...
WHY AM I WASTING MY TIME?!?!? 
There are plenty of people who have this skill locked tight under their belt, and for a small fee they would gladly notate my music for me!


But, I'll tell ya. It is ALWAYS good to learn a new skill and to flex the brain. When Math got hard in school I just gave up. I didn't like it, and I wasn't very good at it, so I put my attention elsewhere. Theater, music, dance. And that's all fine and dandy. But today, I'm a songwriter, and you need a few of these skills if you want to include others in the making of your music.

I am SO excited that I'm going to be leading the choir at Bodhi Spiritual Center starting Easter Sunday. We are going to be doing my song, "Rise," which is SUCH a blast. But it's a weird tune, like most of my tunes. The timing is funky and the chords are whacky....so it's NOT easy to notate! But I'm determined!

Even if I have to just give lyric sheets and chord sheets to the musicians, I WILL HAVE SOMETHING!!!

Is it a waste of time to learn this new skill? Perhaps. And that's okay. It's okay to waste some time. It is precious, and yet, we are infinite.

No comments: